Thursday, August 24, 2006

Ever hear the expression "Pick a Horse and Stick with it?"

Apparently the astronomy community hasn't. I wake up this morning to find out that Pluto is no longer a planet. But maybe it is a "dwarf planet." So if it is a dwarf planet, wouldn't that still make it a planet? I thought when they started this whole planet definition thing, that we would be getting more planets. Guess not. So what are the schools going to do? Buy lots of Sharpies to black out the part about Pluto in all of the science books???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just know all the science textbook publishers out there are licking their chops at this news. Every astronomy classroom all over the world will have to have updated new edition books. Business will be booming!

pineapple said...

good thing education is so well funded in this country. ha.

mad said...

To think, I memorized that crap for nothing. Amazing how heated this discussion has gotten.

pineapple said...

I just don't get why they couldn't come up with some definition of a planet that could include Pluto. I mean it does orbit the sun like the rest of them. I know it and its moon also orbit one another at the same time so they should have just added the moon too. Then, they could have just added pocket parts to school books instead making it necessary to make new ones. I think I'm convinced that this is a textbook industry conspiracy...