Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Spontaneous Combustion Does Happen

In Arlington, Texas, they put wood chips under the play equipment at the school. Well, now they are going to have to replace it with pea gravel because the wood chips seem to be prone to spontaneous combustion. You heard me, spontaneous combustion! I don't know about you, but just the idea of spontaneous combustion in itself is enough to give me the giggles. It always has and I suppose it always will because it seems I have yet to grow up. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Who wants to grow up? But getting back to my point… Apparently, all of the rain we have had this year caused the wood chips to start decomposing and the hot dry weather we are having now caused them to go "poof!" up in smoke. If you are interested in seeing the fire, here is a link to the surveillance video that caught the whole thing. “Officials say” that compost that hasn’t been turned is also prone to spontaneous combustion. Who knew you could have your very own spontaneous combustion? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!


mad said...

I reckon that gravel hurts a lot more when you fall off the swing onto your face. But at least you won't go up in smoke.

pineapple said...

what is recess without some 3rd degree burns?