Tuesday, July 18, 2006

On the road again...

Today was another interesting day in the life of this traveling pineapple. Early this morning I was off to George West (again). But this time I went to the field office instead of the courthouse. Usually when I have to determine the location of a property, I go straight to the books. But not today. I got to ride around in a big pickup truck and look and valve sites and meter sites. But of course, once the fun and games were over it was back to the courthouse basement. After I finished for the day I decided to stay in George West and drive to my next destination in the morning. But for some reason George West was really popular today and the motels were all booked. This leads to the question of "why?". But there is no answer for that. But I'm so glad they were.

As I was driving to Rockport, I was following a work truck. And it was a good thing. First he slowed down for the speed trap. But then something unexpected happened. He swerved into the left lane for no apparent reason. And then I saw why. There was a little old man standing by the side of the road, wearing a hardhat, holding a garbage bag and throwing things at the passing cars. I guess he is the weird little old man of the county and everyone knows to steer clear of his throwing arm. I have no idea what he threw at me. I'm just glad he missed. So now I'm off to find some good seafood. For once I get to work some place that has stuff to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean Rockport is more fun than West George? NO WAY. Not that I've been to either place.

pineapple said...

Actually, Rockport was nice because I got to eat decent food. I had some of the best crab cakes ever. But this week George West was way more fun because I got to go out in the field with the oil guys. Driving around to look at things and stop to gossip with all of the other guys driving around looking at things is much better than standing around in a dusty courthouse basement.