Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Austin is a little less weird

Over the years Molly Ivins has managed to amuse and piss off quite a few people. I was one of the amused. Very amused. But when she lost her battle against breast cancer today, Austin lost a little bit of its sparkle. RIP, Molly. You were a true smartass. I will miss you.

Click here to read her column.

Here are some quotes for your enjoyment:
"Being slightly paranoid is like being slightly pregnant - it tends to get worse."

"It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side."

"It is possible to read the history of this country as one long struggle to extend the liberties established in our Constitution to everyone in America."

"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."

"Satire is traditionally the weapon of the powerless against the powerful. I only aim at the powerful. When satire is aimed at the powerless, it is not only cruel - it's vulgar."

"I believe in practicing prudence at least once every two or three years."

"During a recent panel on the numerous failures of American journalism, I proposed that almost all stories about government should begin: 'Look out! They're about to smack you around again!'"

I know vegetarians don't like to hear this, but God made an awful lot of land that's good for nothing but grazing."

"In Texas, we do not hold high expectations for the governor's office; it's mostly been occupied by crooks, dorks and the comatose."

"I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults."


3 comments:

mad said...

She was one of a kind. I read that when she was in the Denver bureau for the New York Times, she decided to cover some kind of chicken plucking festival. She called it a "gang pluck" and was promptly removed from the bureau, after which she quit and went back to Texas.

LesleyRamsey said...

I went to a remembrance tonight. My friend Debbie organized it. It was a very sweet evening, but sad. I "blogged" on it, too. Hugs--O.G.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much