Sunday, April 02, 2006

is immigration as urgent as the gossip about Lindsay Lohan?

Truth be told, my life has been super crazy and I haven't had a lot of time to follow the news. I have looked at some of the "top stories" or whatever it is the media wants me to worry about. My favorite thing is this whole immigration debate. Some of the crap ass arguments I've heard about stricter laws are just beyond stupid. Just so you know where I stand on this issue, it is my personal opinion that the immigrants are good for our economy and that it is really a non-issue. Give them guest worker status and make them pay into the system like the rest of us. They get jobs, the government gets taxes.

Here is my take on some of the stupid shit lawmakers have come up with:

"We've got to do something, we don't know what their intentions are or why they are coming here!" Get real. Most people come to this country to work. Only a handful come here to kill us. This is not a matter of dire national security.

"Let's build a fence!" The whole idea of a fence is retarded. Hello, wirecutters! Should we take every shovel away from the Mexicans to keep them from tunneling, too? I don't know why they bother. Every time I have been to the border, I have seen people just run through the border check point and wade across the Rio Grande next to the bridge. We I see this, I think to myself, "I hope they make it." Anyway, the border patrol is too busy making sure college kids don't bring back too much tequila to pay attention to Mexicans crossing the border illegally.

"We should make it a serious criminal offense to come to this country illegally and deport everyone that does." Actually, I think it would be funny to watch the government try to round up and deport 11 million people. I bet it will be just as successful and the war on Iraq.

"Giving illegals guest worker permits is the same thing as amnesty." So what? If they are going to work here, make them pay taxes. If you kick them out, they are just going to come back anyway.

So that's my two cents.

No comments: