Monday, March 05, 2007

Beware of daylight savings time

So this year, it is extra special because we start daylight savings time next weekend. Of course, it is usually a suprise to me when it happens so the fact that I know about it ahead of time makes it "extra special" not that they have changed when DST starts! This year, they have added a month to daylight savings time to cut energy use. I promise that once summer hits, it won't matter what time it is because my air conditioning will be on full blast 24-7.

Of course, this time of year becomes confusing for jet-setting types because other countries don't adjust for daylight savings time when we do, if they do it at all. So, this just to warn you that you need to "spring forward" on Saturday night and if you need to call another country you need to calculate the time difference accordingly. Since I only email my international friends, this does not apply to me.

Something I have always wondered is if daylight savings time is so great, then why don't we stay on it all year round? Time is relative and changing the time is just confusing. We don't care what anyone else is doing with their time. Europe has a different schedule and Asia doesn't even change time.

I do know this -- that it was not fun to "fall back" last year. My dogs get up at the same time everyday and demand to be fed at 8 am and 8 pm. It was not fun to wake up an hour early to let them out and have them bark at me because they thought it was 8 when it was only 7. I suppose that I could have adjusted to account for the time, but I don't want to wake up at 6:45 am everyday. Hopefully, the spring forward will not be so hard to adjust to...

1 comment:

mad said...

I guess some tech heads are predicting a minor Y2K because of the early time change. But as I recall, Y2K was a big dud. Fortunately, I haven't changed my clocks from last daylight savings time, so I guess you could say I've been on it all year round. Guess that accounts for why I'm always early to appointments.